“Creation” Responds to Kevin’s “Sigh of Relief” at finding someone who shared his theories
I'm glad I came across this. It gives me a sigh of relief that I am not the only person who theorizes this. I hope I can remember how I got here so I can come back when I go home. :)
Submitted by Kevin
Reply to Kevin
I just now found this response to ‘Creationism’, Kevin. I’m writing a response assuming you have found your way back. I appreciate your comment and would be interested in hearing how you agree and in what you might add.
I am going to assume that you also are concerned about Biblical Creationism challenging scientific discovery and its consequent conclusions based on the preponderance of the evidence. I am an evolutionist. I am also deeply religious, but my justification for a relationship with God is based on evolutionary theory. I do not believe God writes books nor do I believe He uses ghost writers to write them for Him.
It is inconceivable to me that serious religious leaders would encourage their followers to ignore the truly awesome extent, in both size and in time, of God’s creation that science has revealed to us, that they would turn God into a simple magician turning dust into us, when the intricacy of evolutionary development suggests a truly masterful craftsman. The only explanation I can think of is arrogance, the placing of ourselves before God. We are so embarrassed by our animal nature and thus our sharing of a common ancestor with other primates that we diminish God to make ourselves look more Godlike. This is of course only opinion, and I would welcome your ideas in this regard.
I am also uneasy about the growing determination to make Intelligent Design a scientific conclusion and therefore a concept to be taught in schools. My problem is not so much a rejection of the idea as it is a rejection of its being scientific. Although it does explain some very fragile aspects of the development of this very complex cosmos and the equally complex development of its lifeforms, the sheer size of the universe (and perhaps beyond the universe) and the sheer length of time during which it has existed makes it also possible that that complexity developed coincidentally.
I have found that although God contributes to my appreciation of that which surrounds me and to the realistic apprehension of my insignificance in time and space and encourages an empathic response to those around me with sympathy for those in pain, He gets in the way of my comprehension of how the world works. There is always the feeling that I am challenging God when I discover something new and so the temptation to ignore my discovery and the discovery of others; the feeling that I should remain ignorant. Therefore teaching Intelligent Design in schools seems more indoctrination than education. Education develops a questioning mind and gives you the tools to work toward answering questions. Evolution teaches discernment based on evidence. Intelligent Design teaches nothing useful, though being a person of faith, I find it intriguing and exhilarating. It should most certainly be presented by religious institutions, but not as scientific proof of anything, and it most certainly should not be taught in schools. If you do not agree with me on this issue, I look forward to hearing your opinion.
I very much appreciate your responding to ‘Creationism’. It was written a few months ago and was almost immediately buried beneath the articles of others. There is always the feeling that after the first few days of a posting an article is pretty much lost. I am reassured to find that someone is still reading it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home